HISTORY

--

1949

Founding of Helvetia College

Colegio Helvetia was founded by a group of Swiss citizens in August 1949 on Carrera 7 and 84, in what was then the northern limits of the city of Bogotá. Their aim was to provide their children with a Swiss education, so that they could return to their country of origin to continue their university studies.

Forty-nine pupils started classes in a kindergarten and four primary classes, with a French section only, accompanied by five Swiss teachers.

--

class="img-responsive
class="img-responsive

1954

Inauguration of new headquarters

Today a monument of National Cultural Interest, located at Calle 128 No. 58-91, it was built at that time by the renowned Swiss architect Victor Schmid. Its main neighbour at the time was the Suba Hippodrome.

1956

Graduation of the first graduating class

class="img-responsive
class="img-responsive

1964

Creation of the Parents' Association

1965

Construction of the "Science Pavilion" and the library

class="img-responsive

1968

German language pupils increase considerably

In the 1970s it was strengthened to such an extent that the division into a German section and a French section was created.

1971

Creation of the Union of International Schools of Bogota "UNCOLI".

Helvetia was one of the founding schools of Uncoli, formerly known as the "Liga de Colegios del Norte".

class="img-responsive
class="img-responsive

1972

Construction of the Coliseum

1973

Boys and girls start classes together

1974

Birth of TPM ("Théâtre pour le moment")

Creation of a theatre group in French, led by Professor Jacques Legler. It was active non-stop until 2008.

1979

Social Service activities start together with the Fundación Suizocolombiana

class="img-responsive

1981

Graduation of the first graduating class of the German Section

First time that Helvetia presented the Sprachdiplom (German diploma), together with the pupils of the Colegio Andino. Some pupils from the French section presented the BAC, the French Baccalaureate graduation diploma.

1992

On 20 May 1992, the Colegio Helvetia was declared by the Colombian National Government as a "Bien de Interés Cultural de Carácter Nacional" (National Asset of Cultural Interest). 

class="img-responsive
class="img-responsive

1993

The well-remembered "Laguito de las tortugas" is built. New layout of Avenida Boyacá.

1999

Inauguration of the "New High School Building".

The 50th anniversary of the College was also celebrated. It was the first big meeting of the Swiss community in Colombia.

class="img-responsive

2000

Inauguration of the "Research Centre

2007

Implementation of Matura Bilingüe Switzerland

Signing of the agreement between Colombia and Switzerland which gave validity to Matura's diploma in both countries.

class="img-responsive

2008

Graduation of the first graduating class with the Matura Bilingüe Suiza diploma

15th April: The President of the Republic of Colombia awards Colegio Helvetia the "Silver Cross" of the National Order of Merit.

April: Celebration at the College of the 100th anniversary of the Swiss Embassy in Colombia

2014

Creation of SuisseMun

The first version of the College's Model United Nations is implemented.

2017

Construction of the first phase of the Master Plan begins

2019

Inauguration of buildings of the first phase of the Master Plan 

Designed by the architect Giancarlo Mazzanti, the new Primary, Baccalaureate, Music and Art classrooms are inaugurated. Three new laboratories, a multi-purpose hall, an agora, the new Auditorium and two new school shops for Primary and Baccalaureate.

--

19 October: Helvetia Day: Celebrating the College's 70th Anniversary

--

--